1. Heat 15ml of oil in a large pan and fry mince until well browned. Set aside.
2. Put the remaining oil in the pan. Cook the vegetables and garlic purée on a low heat until soft.
3. Add the flour and tomato purée and cook for a few minutes.
4. Return the beef to the pan.
5. Add the wine and reduce by half.
6. Pour water over Major Beef Stock Base and Major Roast Onion Stock Base and mix well.
7. Add stock, worcestershire sauce, thyme and bay leaves.
8. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 45 minutes.
9. The gravy should be thick and coating the meat. If too thin boil for a few minutes to achieve correct consistency. Season with black pepper then discard the bay leaves and thyme.
10. To make the mash, cook the potatoes until soft, drain well, then mash with the milk, butter and three quarters of the cheese, then season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
11. Place meat in a dish. Pipe or spoon potato on top.
12. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
13. Cook in a pre-heated oven 180°C for about 40 minutes or until the topping is golden.