1. Using the flat edge of a chef’s knife, crush the garlic with a pinch of sea salt until it breaks down to a cream.
2. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
3. Heat a griddle pan to a medium heat.
4. Brush the bread slices with half the oil and place on the griddle until nice and crisp on each side. When the bread is done, rub the cut clove of garlic over the surface of each slice of bread. Keep warm.
5. Preheat the grill to hot.
6. Dip the sardines in the seasoned flour, shake off excess.
7. Lay them skin side up on the grill pan and drizzle with remaining oil. Cook under the hot grill for 2 minutes until golden and cooked through. Alternatively cook in a frying pan with 15ml of olive oil for 1 minute each side until golden and just cooked through.
8. Spread the bruschetta with salsa verde and top each one with one or two sardines.
9. Pour some more salsa verde over the top and serve with lemon wedges.